Instagram is a photo and video sharing app owned by Facebook, Inc. It was created by Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger and launched in October 2010 on iOS.
But you’re not here for history lessons. You’re here to know how to be an Insta Expert. To use Instagram to build your business/service/product branding. You’ve probably heard how many “influencers”, have promoted products over Instagram, and how good their audience reach and engagement was.
There are a few things you need to check before fully diving into the world of ecstatic visual such as Instagram. It is not suitable for ALL products / services. I repeat, not all business is suitable for Instagram. Firstly, lets look at the demographic of Instagram audiences. They have >1 billion active users monthly. Their largest ‘age category’ is between 18 years old to 24 years old. 52% are women. Instagram niche are more towards urban then suburban. (Note: these facts are taken from Hootsuite.com based on US adults demographic).
Users all over the world are adopting the platform. here’s the TOP 10 global users:
- United States: 116 million users
- India: 73 million
- Brazil: 72 million
- Indonesia: 60 million
- Russia: 42 million
- Turkey: 37 million
- Japan: 27 million
- United Kingdom: 22.9 million
- Mexico: 22 million
- Germany: 19.9 million
Based on the Pew Survey, this is the brake down of ‘income results’ of Instagram users.
- <$30,000: 35%
- $30,000-$74,999: 39%
- $75,000+: 42%
So based on the above, are you getting your business in front of the right people? Instagram generated $20 billion in ad revenue in 2019. Instagram Now Has More Than 2 Million Monthly Advertisers and 25 Million Business Profiles. An estimated 75.3% of US businesses will be on Instagram in 2020.
Getting Starting with INSTAGRAM:
Now if you know me, you know I’m a realist. I don’t over hype what I don’t believe in and I take action based on facts, stats and a bit of my gut feeling. As mentioned earlier, Instagram is not for all kind of business. Would you sell your adult diaper on Instagram knowing it is mainly 16 to 30 years old?? would you sell raw metal and factory equipment, knowing majority are interested in lifestyles, travel, & motivation?
It all depends. So before you start going really deep. Do a little test round with Instagram for your business/product/services. Don’t worry, I’ll guide you step by step.
To do a test round, let’s start by creating an Instagram account (duh!)
1) Get your smartphone and go to your app store (App Store for IOS & Play Store for Android). Search for “Instagram” and install it.
2) Once you installed it, open the app and sign up for an account (PS: you can just sign up with your Facebook Account for a start).
3) Go to the most bottom right tab and click it. You are now in your Account page. See the button “Edit Profile”? Make sure you fill up your details such as Profile Photo, Name, Username, Website, & Bio. Click “Done”
4) Try to link your Facebook Page (if you have any) with your Instagram Account. Link your other account to your Instagram too! From the account page, click the top right button and then click on “Settings”. Go to “Account” and then go to “Linked Account”. Start linking all the account you have with your Instagram!
5) Next, will want to follow some competitors. This is a good practice among Instagram Marketers because you’ll get to:
– Learn ways to brand your business and products on Instagram.
– Learn what’s trending and what’s in style
– Learn the best way to Copywrite your caption. And the best way to know what is engaging and what’s not.
– Learn the best way to deal with hateful, spam, & negative comments
So to start, you will need to go to the bottom tab and click on the “magnifying glass” tab. Here’s where you can see photos/videos that Instagram thought (based on their algorithm) you might like. At the top, there is a ‘search bar’, type the followings and start following them:
– Top Brands In The World (Such as MacDonalds, Coca-Cola, Nike, Gucci, Larborghini, Apple & etc etc)
– Top Influencers (Such as Cristiano Ronaldo, Ariana Grande, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, Selena Gomez, Kylie Jenner & etc etc)
– Top Business In Your Industry (E.g If you have a restaurant, you might want to follow ‘Nandos’, ‘Wendy’ & etc)
– Lastly, Top direct competitors. Find a few of your competitors online (just ‘google’ them) and see if they have Instagram account. If they do, just follow them.
6) You might also want to follow a few common hashtags that are related to your business. For example, if you are starting a clothing line, you might want to follow the hashtag #FashionFriday #OOTD #FashionForSale
Enjoy Your Instagram Journey!
So you got almost everything setup. Now you just need to start posting. This is the most tedious part of Instagram, yet the most enjoyable part. Go crazy and start posting. If you are now such what to post, try studying your competitors style of posting.